Friday, October 25, 2013

Studio Visit Great Fun!

Nancy Minogue from Peppertree Visual Communications in Ottawa paid me a visit yesterday. We had great fun on Ned (My 1890's Challenge Gordon Press) printing a few things. Nancy learned a bit about how to lock up the chase, adjust the packing, and make a print.


Nancy feeding the press
It was so much fun to be back on press, and printing with a dear friend who is learning about letterpress printing! Her enthusiasm and interest really filled the studio with amazing energy.  Nancy (nickname Spike) traveled with me to The Printing Arts Fair at The Museum of Printing this past June. She jumped in, volunteering to help with all aspects of the fair.

Yesterday she jumped right in, with the same enthusiasm, learning a bit about locking up a chase, setting the guides, feeding the press, and the coordination necessary to print with a treadle drive platen press.


Nancy checking out her impression and the Two Nancy's, Tadaa!!!

Click on the image to enlarge
As I move back into being a studio artisan full time, my heart soars like a hawk! Having Nancy here yesterday for a studio visit just reinforced my passion for being here.  Today I will be back on press, printing cards for the coming Christmas season, bookmarks, and other holiday centered items.  My bench is also filled with work that needs to be completed by the end of the month for two shows I will be participating in this holiday season.

 On Saturday November 9 I will be traveling to  Kinburn, Ontatio for the 33rd Annual Christmas Kraft Fair. When François and I were first married we lived in Fitzroy Harbour, quite close to Kinburn. It is going to be great fun for me to be back in what I consider to be my "Canada home" neighborhood.

I will be traveling to this show with my good friend from Valley Artisans' Co-op, Laura Mayo. We both will be selling new work perfect for holiday gift giving.

On November 23-24 Laura and I will be participating in the  Artisans @ the Archives Christmas Market in Ottawa. The premier fine crafts show is well  known for the high quality of work available as well as the impeccable organization of the group putting the show together.


Now as I prepare for these shows and also work at framing new work for Valley Artisans' Co-op Gallery, my creative soul trembles with excitement. I dream each night of pieces I wish to create, stone inscriptions I hope to cut, and artists' books that are waiting to be born.

The coldness of the air that has descended upon Deep River this week calls us to be aware that the season is about to change. My studio nesting is now done, and I am prepared to hunker down here as the first snowflakes fly, and work diligently to produce the work I have been dreaming about this past year.  I have been quiet, watched for the signs, and my heart has soared like a hawk as this next part of my journey begins.

In doing so I have developed an even more definite trust that with the grace and infinite wisdom of God in my life, that all will be well, and all will be well, and the joy of creating will carry me through, and all will be well.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment